Recipe: Turmeric & Semolina Cake a.k.a Sfoof
We love food, we love the colour yellow, and turmeric is our plant of the month. So, we made a yellow cake from turmeric, and ate it too. It was truly delicious! Here’s the recipe.
This cake is called sfoof, or sfouf, depending on where you live. It’s a Lebanese cake, and is ridiculously easy to make. I am no baker. I love cooking, but baking is not really my thing. I think its the requirement for precision that gets me. Anyway, I’ve made this cake twice in the last week. It’s delicious and easy and if anyone ever wants a birthday cake from me ever again, they can get sfoofed.
Here is my recipe – its a mash up of a few different recipes I found.
- 1 1/2 cups semolina flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of ground star anise
- 1 tablespoon of orange blossom water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cups white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (most recipes say pine nuts or almonds but I had neither so sesame seeds it was!)
- Tahini for greasing the pan
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C. Grease a 20cm round baking pan with tahini.
- In a small bowl, mix semolina, flour, turmeric, ground star anise and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir milk and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add flour mixture and oil and beat with an electric beater at medium speed for 5 minutes.
- Pour into a prepared round pan. Sprinkle top with pine nuts/sesame seeds/almonds. Bake at 175 degrees C for 25 to 35 minutes, or until skewer inserted in center comes out dry.
Do you want to know how to grow turmeric? We wrote about it here!
Or perhaps you would prefer to dye with it? Check out our DIY here.